Nelson Kelem (TheCrab)
South East London, UK
Hire me, am available
Nelson Kelem is a:
- code optimiser and problem solver or critical thinker
- avid reader of many programming and CS books
- open source software spirit sharer hoping to make sharing popular
- an experienced web and iOS app developer and software enthusiast
- tech-based community organiser (iLinkoln)
- a dreamer and tinkerer with enterprising leanings
- a visual-centric software developer
I’m a full stack web developer, with a focus on backend systems. My key skills include among others:
- HTML, CSS, Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop (2007-present)
- Ruby and Ruby-on-Rails/Datamapper (2009-present)
- Nodejs and Express framework (2013-present)
- Objective-C, RubyMotion (2014-present)
- TDD/BDD I honestly can not remember when I started testing, its one of those things.
Languages:- Ruby is my main go to (OO) language, Nodejs for real-time API’s, Elixir is my current interest for functional language.
I’m an ardent advocate for Open Source dev and a contributor, author of among others:
- Hanami-Fumikiri ‐ WIP a JSON Web Token authentication gem for Hanami Web framework
- Spree-gocardless ‐ a GoCardless extension for Spree Commerce, GC is a UK Direct Debit payment processor making life easy for SME and Sole Traders.
- Backend development
- Languages: Ruby, MacRuby, Nodejs
- Languages with intermediate proficiency: Elixir, Go
- Frameworks: Rails, Hanami, Roda, Sinatra, Sails, Express
- Frameworks with intermediate proficiency: Phoenix
- Frontend development
- Web frameworks BackboneJS, AngularJS, UIKIT CSS, Bootstrap CSS,
- Mobile frameworks: RubyMotion, Xcode, Ionic
Testing suits: TestUnit, RSpec + Capybara
I prefer using RSpec with Capybara for frontend integration testing in place of Cucumber.
- Prototyping: Photoshop, Illustrator, Bootstrap and UIKIT CSS
- Databases: Postgres, SQLite, MongoDB, RethinkDB
- Architecture and UML: OS X (macOS), Linux (Ubuntu) and Git
Tech community work
I founded the iLinkoln Digital Meetup Group in Lincoln. And organised the first ever hackday in Lincoln, besides running the group for almost 4 years. I attend a number of hackathons mainly in the UK.
My experience is mainly drawn from freelancing work and collaborations on Open Source Software projects. Largely they are backend systems. For the past 5 years I have worked at a digital agency (Safarista Design), where as a senior developer I focused on Ruby and Rails development. Below are some apps I have worked on.
Fullstack Web and API apps
|5||Property Piper||2011||Sinatra, SQLite, Google maps, Elastic Search||Property search engine WIP|
|6||Rails Piper||2013-present||Sinatra, Postgres, Sorcery, Heroku||Ruby developers cv posting/search.|
|7||Waddington Taxis||2013-present||Rails 4.2 API, Devise, Backbone JS, PureCSS framework||Taxi booking app, dispatch app and driver app thats mobile friendly|
|8||Paxi Labs||2015-2016||Hanami, Hanami-Fumikiri, Postgres, MongoDB, Google Firebase, Redis, OpenShift hosting, Apple/Google/MapBox Maps||Developed a number of API’s plus iOS apps used privately and some awaiting launch in 2016|
Mobile apps iOS
|1||VanMan||2015-2016||iOS, RubyMotion, Objective-C, Apple Maps, Google Firebase, Sails (Nodejs)||Help Delivery drivers reduce dead mileage|
|2||Spota||2015-2016||Sails-JS, Firebase + GeoFire, RubyMotion, OpenShift||- Almost like Uber.|
|3||Spoted||2015-2016||RubyMotion, Apple Maps, CoreLocation||The driver-app for accepting jobs booked via Spota|
|4||Swara||2015-2016||RubyMotion, Stripe, Hanami||Mobile card payment app|
|5||Strop||2015-2016||Rails, RubyMotion, CoreLocation, MongoDB||Mobile dating app|
|6||Kutsh||2013-2016||Stripe, Ionic, Postgres, Rails 4.2||International Mobile payment remittance|
I am in the process of writing the Android equivalent of some of the above apps.
Lincoln University — BA Architecture, 2007-2009
Strengths and goals
I can work as software architect or developer. I can also do on-site Ruby on Rails, Hanami web frameworks and frontend web development.
My goal is to help in design and development of better backend and UI strategies and simplify solution architecture by using the best architecture solutions for the task and business strategy.
Please get in touch